Tuesday, January 22, 2008

There's something very cheesy going on...

Today I went grocery shopping. If I were an investor- AND had known how high cheese prices were headed, I'd have invested in it. I stood paralyzed in the aisle... no cheese today. I think that the dairy farmers are taking a page out the oil industry's book. The 2-lb. bulk brick of cheese (which is usually the cheapest) was between $9 and $10. That's nearly $5 a pound! 1/2-pound bricks were about $3. True, milk prices are a little higher than normal- but ice cream was about it's usual price, but the cheese... the cheese! My mind flashed back to 1990 when I could buy a pound of Colby cheese at a little butcher shop in Arizona for about $1.69. Being a creative thinker I pondered my options:

1. Buy cheese... and get ripped off. A dairy herd in Wisconsin or Cache Valley is probably strutting around in a heated barn and getting rub-downs after each milking in special cow-spa built with their new profits. The dairy herd's owner is probably on a Caribbean cruise or heli-skiing in Switzerland.
2. Don't buy cheese. :( Be creative and put something else on the sandwiches, pizza, and Mexican dishes the next two weeks.
3. Protest! Go home and blog (cry) about it.
4. Buy ice cream.
5. Compensate by buying something else from the dairy group. Hmm... I had just passed up the cottage cheese...
6. Buy ice cream. Oh- I already mentioned that...
7. Visit Macey's grocery store later in the week in Clearfield (8 miles away) to see if the economic cheese inflation-thingy has spread beyond Kaysville.
8. Instead of going cow-tipping, go cow-milking at midnight tonight and make my own cheese. Wait- too cold for that.
9. Visit Logan and go to the cheese factory in order to hoard free cheese samples.
10. Visit Wisconsin. It's probably plentiful there since the dairy farmers are all back to work due to the fact that the Green Bay Packers just lost the game that would've put them in the Superbowl... wait! That explains it! Green Bay in the playoffs = lower cheese production = higher cheese prices! I take back what I said at the beginning- whatever you do- I would no longer suggest you invest in cheese stocks right now! Let's just hope that relief from high cheese prices is on its way in the coming weeks. This may influence my vote in the upcoming election. I wonder what the presidential candidates have to say on the subject. Does anyone know what the stock exchange symbol is for "cheese" or "dairy products?"

I wished the headline for this post had been, "I smell a rat!" At least that would mean that there was cheese nearby. :)

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

You are killin' me!

I'm going grocery shopping today, and cheese was on my list. Thanks for the warning.