Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mitt will make a "blunderful" president!

I loved Bamamoma's comment to my last post:
What do you say about all the mis-speaks Romney has done? Admittedly, they aren't huge things but put together it seems to point to a guy who is so eager that he inflates the truth at times ("I've been a hunter all my life" or "I got that bill passed" or whatever). Do you think the American people can overlook that?

My reply- and thanks for the opportunity to comment further on my impressions...

No- we should never overlook Romney's blunders. Don't forget Romney telling us that he "saw" his father march with Martin Luther King. I think he is making it sound like he was there, but he should have said, "My father marched with Martin Luther King." He experienced it as a family member, but not in person. I am glad the press is making him own up to every word he says. He is trying to claim every good thing done by any person he ever knew existed.

Romney is a politician- through and through- and that is his greatest weakness. He is almost too much into himself at times. Politics and government are only similar to an extent and one has to be careful about making promises regarding change, etc. Although I think a president can do a lot, executive power is different in business government. One can't just streamline production, market more heavily, lay off employees, or train staff to improve things. It is like comparing a dairy farm to controlling the weather.

I think it is funny when we attribute a good or bad economy on a president's influence. It's even funnier to see a president take credit for a growing economy. They can control only one of hundreds of factors.

Romney is so cocky that if he wins the presidency he'll be served some major humble pie in his first 2-3 years of being president. I look forward to it. But as I look at it- I'd rather have Mitt Romney blundering in Washington than Hilary. And if Mitt did a good job in the first 4 years the public would re-elect him. I am impressed with the job that John Huntsman has done in Utah with putting the economy first. A strong economy has helped him to finance everything else.

I like Obama's optimism and vision- though I wish it had a little more substance and experience to back it up. I think that he does not have as much experience from which to draw. We will definitely see more of him over the next 8-16 years. I would bet that he will one day win the presidency.

McCain's "words that never should have been said" over the years are much worse- "Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb- Iran," (and then laughing about it), etc. is scary. I think he lacks the ability to... to... lead a country. He is too one-sided and lacks in diplomacy and he is flippant at times. I think he does have some ideas on campaign reform, etc. that DO need to happen in the U.S.

Huckabee is too compassionate (he'd be a good father or Grandpa!). I think he is too soft to be a president. He is the Republican version of Jimmy Carter. I like Jimmy Carter (great autobiography by the way) and I like Huckabee too. Not too impressed with his little religion jabs at Romney.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Insightful.

I'll admit, I have been really surprised by the primaries thus far. I really thought Rudy G (I'm not going to even try to spell that name) or Fred Thompson would walk away with it without much of a contest.

But, What do I know?