Friday, July 11, 2008

Food Friday: Mark's Homemade Bread

Yes- I know- this was actually posted on a Sunday, but I have been inspired by Bamamoma's "Food Friday" recipes and thought I'd share a few of my own (or those I've stolen). I don't know if I can commit to sharing a recipe every Friday, but we'll see. I'm starting out with a basic recipe, a little beyond cold cereal and homemade toast. I'll save them for when I have no ideas.

With this first recipe I am also putting my life in peril. I think it is a top-secret family recipe. If Mark Lambert finds out I have published this on the web, all of his family members may be after me (and if you include all of the grandkids, that's a lot!). So, if I die an unusual death in the coming months, you'll know whodunnit. Mark didn't have a precise recipe, but this is pretty close and has been modified a little by me. This one makes 4 or so loaves.

1 Quart very warm water
1/2 C sugar or honey
2-3 T yeast
(depending on how fast you want it to rise)

Totally dissolve sugar or honey into the warm water and then sprinkle in yeast. Let sit to let yeast begin to kind of dissolve and react (usually 5-10 minutes, though I don't know if it really matters how long). While you're waiting, grease your bread or pizza pans with oil or butter.

1/2 C oil (canola or vegetable)
1 T salt
8-11 C flour (white or 1/2 wheat)
Butter or oil for greasing pans


Once the yeast floats up to the top of the water, add in the oil and mix in the salt until dissolved. Now mix in 5-6 cups of flour with a large, sturdy, wooden or plastic spoon. You may then let it rise at this point for 20-30 minutes (Mark did, I usually don't). I add almost all the flour (about 7-8 cups), stirring it in until the dough starts becoming a big ball, and then let it rise 30-40 minutes until double in size. The warmer your kitchen, the faster the rise.

Once double in size, I then sprinkle in the last 2-4 cups of flour to the dough as I knead it by hand until it just begins to lose its stickiness. I then work the flour in until it's tacky, but not sticky. I then pinch off enough dough and roll it underneath itself in my hands, forming it to shape the pan as I go, and also to get a nice, smooth top. Pinch the bottom of the loaf closed and drop it in the greased pan, tucking it in around the edges to get a nice fit. Let the loaves rise until the dough begins to touch the top of the pan's sides. Bake at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes until the top is a medium golden brown. Remove from oven and pans and let dry on a rack or rotate on a wood surface. Eat immediately or you can let it cool and "dry" for at least 2-3 hours. Be sure it's reasonably dry before you bag it. Keeps for about 3-4 days (maximum) outside of fridge.

This makes a great pizza crust too! Just stretch and pound it out flat on a floured surface until quite thin, and then let rise until double or tripled in size on a greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Pre-cook for about 10-12 minutes, add sauce and toppings, and then cook for another 10-15 minutes until pizza is ready. I'll often cook a few crusts for 10-12 minutes and then throw them in the freezer (in plastic) for later. It makes great breadsticks, rolls, bread bowls, etc. I also modified it into a focaccia recipe as well that maybe I can share later.

I'm going to have to make some this week. Writing about it is making me hungry.

4 comments:

highdeekay said...

Awesome! We love Mark's bread. I have a feeling I'll be making this soon. thanks!

Charlotte said...

I've never made Mark's bread before, at least not THIS Mark's bread. I do still make Mark M's bread from time to time.

Maybe it's time to branch out.

amy greenway said...

I accidently ended up here from Charlottes blog. Then I realized that I actually have met you a few times so I scrolled down and saw Marks recipe and realized that I have eaten this bread on several occasions. I am one of the many who dated Mark. :)

SO, I would remain anonymous but I'm making this bread today and I'm wondering if you really mean 2 T. of salt??? Seems like a lot. By the time you reply it will probably be too late, but I'm very curious!

LClark said...

Amy-
Actually, you're right. The 2 T (tablespoons) is the way that Mark made it- BUT that was his double batch in a 5-gallon bucket, and thus I made the mistake of putting 2 T when I typed up the 1/2 batch recipe I usually make. I actually dug out the recipe I had written up when Mark gave it to me- and forgot to half the salt.

The recipe I shared on the blog is the one I use now- but usually do it from memory. I never really measure the flour, I just keep mixing it in until it's right.
Sorry 'bout that,
Loren