Monday, July 28, 2008

Free Gas!

With gas prices at an all time high, I was surprised by a sign I saw while on my way home from a hike. I had stopped to pick up a few items at a shop when I spotted it:


Wow! Free gas!

What?

Free gas! About 12 miles south of my house- $0.00 per gallon!

Free?

Yes! Frrreeeeeee!

Hurray!

I couldn't believe it either and took the photo above to prove it. I'll have to go there more often!

Here is a photo of the whole storefront:

Look closely at the photo...



Yeah, it's a bike shop- Bountiful Bicycles. I recently re-invested in a bicycle and needed to get a few things. I thought that the sign on the storefront was pretty creative and funny. I used to have a road bike in high school that I rode to work quite a bit between Kaysville and Centerville, and thanks to ebay, I found a decent, used bike in Colorado to replace my aged and crippled Specialized Hard Rock (that is now 18 years old). Now I need to get a second set of rims in order to exchange quickly between mtn tires and road tires, or slicks.

Here is the new ride:

I was surprised that I won the ebay auction. I thought I'd have to increase my bid by $100 or so, but didn't have to. I also am learning to use clipless (eggbeater) pedals for the first time. They're easier than I thought they'd be, although not as easy as toeclips. So far, it's harder to get INTO the pedal than releasing it.

I figure that I'll have to bike well over 4,500 miles for this purchase to pay for itself. With the ride to work and back being a 24-mile round trip, that'll be nearly 200 trips to work. At least it will give me about an hour of cardiovascular exercise each day I ride. Also cheaper than a Toyota Prius and faster than walking!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loren,

Looks like a good bike. I bike to work also and really like it. Those clipless pedals are the best, but the bike I ride to work does not have clipless pedals.

Chris